The Secret Weapon


I found my common ground with my future father-in-law, Moe Filson, on a bass fishing trip outside Wewoka, Oklahoma. It was in the evening of a hot August day in the early 1960’s, Dragonflies humming, snakes slithering over mats of pond grass, bull frogs croaking, and not a ripple on the water.

Hot, hot summertime. Heat indexes had not yet been invented. People knew it was hot by the old- fashioned method: You stuck your arm elbow-deep into the icy water of the pop box down at the local gas station and fished around in there until you found the coldest Nehi grape imaginable. You knew then, by comparison, what “real hot” was.

Moe owned what were then novel fishing “boats”, a couple of canvas covered float tubes. The devices were perfect for fishing the tight little farm ponds of Seminole County. Throw ‘em in the back of the truck, and let’s go.

You got wet fishing in them, way over your waist, but it was hot, remember, and nobody minded playing the Nehi grape in much bigger, weedy, snaky, pop box.

Gimme’ some more of that. Watch out for that snake. Is he headed our way?

We couldn’t have bought a bass that day with a fistful of twenty-dollar bills. The sun was going down, cherry red in the haze. The moon was already up, white as radium, high over the east side of the pond. The bats were out, flickering black apostrophes in a sky gone lavender. I swear I could smell bass, even if I couldn’t catch one.

“Okay, that’s it,” Moe said. “I’m goin’ to the secret weapon,” which was news to me. I had no idea what “The Secret Weapon” was. Not only had I never seen it on our few fishing trips together, I’d never even heard him mention it.

Every man has a secret weapon, right? I was too young then to know that. Now I look for them before they’re even pulled out.

Moe’s secret weapon was a Heddon Baby Lucky Thirteen, wooden, and in his tacklebox who knows how long and from what era. Originally, as I understood it, the Lucky Thirteen was intended (growing up in the 1950’s I had never had enough money to own one, but had seen them) as a topwater bait. Moe fished his like a crankbait, and caught about a two-pound bass that evening on what I recall to have been his third cast.

Moe snapped the fish, our only one, on his chain stringer, and we started loading gear into the back of his truck parked right there by the bank of the pond. Casually, as if out of nothing other than heat-charged air, he had a question for me. It wasn’t dark enough for flashlights, but it was getting there.

“Conrad, what’s your plans?”

“ ‘Bout what?”

“Well, your future.”

“I think I’m going to be an English teacher.”

“I hated English,” he said.

“Lot’s of people do. Not many call it their favorite.”

“I got in trouble my sophomore year in high school. That’d be about 1935. My teacher, Lucy B. Sitton, had me stand in class and give the first person singular pronoun; you know, he, she and it. It didn’t come out right. I ran it by her too fast. Everybody laughed but her. I was on the way to the principal’s office in less than thirty seconds.”

“She ‘larn’t’ you, right?”

“Oh, yes. To her credit, she taught me stuff she wouldn’t have guessed at. Some of it I still remember:

‘So live, that when thy summons comes to join

The innumerable caravan, which moves

To that mysterious realm where each shall take

His chamber in the silent halls of death,

Thou go not, like the quarry slave at night,

Scourged to his dungeon, but, sustained and soothed

By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave,

Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch

About him, and lies down to pleasant dreams.’ “

“Moe, you still remember that?”

“Yep. ‘Thanatopsis’. William Cullen Bryant. If ol’ Lucy B. could see me now. I had to stand in front of the class and say it, or I woulda’ flunked ‘cause of the other stuff.”

“Yes,” I remember saying, “if she could only see you now. You got pond weed all over ya’, and you’re standin’ here quotin’ poetry you learned... well, a long time ago.”

Yes, it was a secret weapon. Moe’s memory, I mean. Not the Lucky Thirteen. You shoulda’ been around to play him in a game of Hearts. He loved that card game.

He was a card counter. What he could do with cards and numbers is illegal in Vegas.

He knew what everybody else’s cards were practically before they did, where the “old lady” was and how to get it. If you play Hearts you know the significance of that last.

He would start laughing just before he pounced. He loved the game. He just didn’t care much for pronouns.

© 2016 and 2022 Conrad M. Vollertsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech

Loneliness of This Wilderness Reaches Deep

Pass It On: It's What the Best People Have Always Done