Low-Tech

 

Of course, I've been thinking about deer season, haven't you? How could you not? By the time you read this, the deer bow season will be at least one day old.

I'm fortunate to have Brian Loveland as a deer hunting partner. We're both meat hunters, valuing a nice fat doe as much as a Boone and Crockett buck, maybe more. We'll shoot the big buck (who wouldn't?), but we don't go looking for him.

We are both out of style, going by the standards as presented on today's TV outdoor shows, and the hunting clothes we wear are out-of-date, and "of the day," as today's youngsters like to say. I know for a fact that Brian has never bought a piece of camo in his entire life. He has some, given to him by his brother Dave, I think, but that's it.

He favors Big Smith overalls (faded blue) to hide his lean, six-four frame, and covers his feet with rough-out Wellingtons I've been looking at for 20 years. If it's not too cold out, say only down in the 30s, he'll pull a black hoodie, like the stick-up men downtown wear, right over the top of the other stuff, and then his orange over that. I'm pretty sure he couldn't spell "L.L. Bean" if you handed him a fistful of $20 bills to do it. And he doesn't care who knows it, either.

Oh, yeah, underneath all that is a nice, warm flannel, union suit, cardinal red, with a trap door in exactly the right place. Under Armour? Give me a break. If he ever does that, I'll kick him out of camp. If it gets down into the teens and 20s, he's got a pair of insulated (faded camo, good grief) bibs that Dave gave him.

The hunt we've got going satisfies a retroactive mind that does not understand the cell phone on the truck seat where it lives, and couldn't begin to take a picture with it, was it so equipped and carried on our person which it is not. Why would it be? We don't talk to people in deer camp; we go there to get away from that.

The closest we get to talking, other than running down the various bosses we've shared over the years, is that we both know bits and pieces of the same 50-year-old country songs that Brian accompanies with an old guitar he saved from a trash pile. "Lovesick Blues?" Yeah, we know that. "I walk The line," sure. "Night Moves," all of them, and all at the end of the day right after woodstove dinner and Irish coffee. You should hear us. You should hear the coyotes.

My own garb consists mainly of old woolen overalls, great for both the cold and the wet, quiet, and old Pendletons, multi-plaids, no solids, Pam has given me as Christmas gifts over the years. Wool is not itchy, in spite of what you have heard, feels good, and retains its warmth when wet which even the best woman will sometimes not do. Moths like them. You should see the holes. I patch them with any odd woolen pieces I can find regardless of color. Who cares? I like the way they look. Used. Like me.

I never had a deer tell me, "I wish you had shot me in a nicer looking shirt."

I don't like union suits, not being mechanical minded, and much prefer a good, warm woolen set of two-piece long johns that will hit the ground in a hurry if they need to. Isn't ESP wonderful?

My only concession to modernity is a pair of rubber bottomed, leather topped, ankle high, insulated slip-ons. I feel their comfort even now, and I'm not even sure where they are. They're around here someplace. This thinking about deer season will put me to looking for them.

Ben Test, out Guymon way, called me last week all excited about the bow season. Ben cuts down bodark trees, seasons them dry, and then shaves them down into the deadliest handcrafted tools you can imagine. With them he shoots whopper desert whitetails, or any fat does and small bucks that get in the way. He does not hold out for the monsters, and he has shot several of them.

A few years back I was out in that country staying with his brother Bryon. We were hunting pheasant. Over coffee at the Three Amigos, I asked Ben why he didn’t go with us that afternoon.

"Can't," he said.

"Why not?"

"Goin' bow huntin' ‘bout four o'clock."

"You got time," I said.

"No, I don't. Not if I take a scent-free shower, I don't."

"What?" I was stunned. I had heard of such things but didn't really believe they happened.

"Oh, yeah. I don't bow hunt without taking my scent-free shower."

I accused him of lying, but he was clearly telling the truth, without the trace of a smile on his face. Shower, specifically, to go on a hunt? There were social events in town for which I would neither shower nor shave. We clearly were not separated twins.

I'm pretty certain neither Brian Loveland nor I would know one end of an aerosol can of scent blocker from the other. Take a bath prior to hunting, using scent-free soap? Hoooo, boy.

Last year, coming off a week in the woods during the muzzleloading season, Pam lifted her head from working on a coke cake (I had smelled it clear out in the driveway) and said without looking at me, "You need a shower; a shave, too." Apparently she had smelled me also, about the same distance away.

"But you're gonna' love me, anyway, right?" I said, grinning through the grime.

"Maybe not," she said, not looking up from the cake, licking frosting from a spatula.

I took a shower. Weedy things, barked things, too, fell from my hair. Then I shaved. I'm remembering last deer season.

Copyright © 2011 Conrad M. Vollertsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leeches and Love

Creek Fishing With Pistols