Time for Stripers?

 

It’s not weather, alone, that governs bird migration autumn and spring. It’s the amount of daylight in the sky.

I’ve watched skeins of ducks and geese fly into the teeth of advancing cold fronts straight out of the north when the days lengthen in spring. In fact, I watched it happen last week on a trip to a family funeral in Nebraska. My three brothers and I were there to bury Dad.

My brother Vernon and I drove with our wives straight north on Highway 81 out of Edmond into that southeastern corner of Nebraska often referred to as the Rainwater Basin, so low and waterlogged is the country there at this time of the year because of the winter’s melting snows. Roadsides in every direction were only recently opened, and three-foot snow drifts were piled high.

Grandpa Harry Vollertsen had a dairy farm there that started our father’s life, and consequently our own. Ducks, geese, and sandhill cranes choked every available body of water, no matter the size, as far as you could see. If you looked into it, the sky was full of chevrons of flight birds, wondering, doubtless, was there any room left for them.

All the bird activity put me to thinking about the coming fish “migration” in our own country here along the Arkansas River. Their main primal goad, the fish I mean, is not the amount of sunlight in the sky, but the water temperature around them fueled by the sunlight.

The closer the water temperature gets to fifty degrees Fahrenheit, the more aroused become fish species of every sort in our country, sand bass (white bass if you prefer), and their close cousins, stripers, foremost among them; crappie, bass, and catfish soon to follow.

Years ago, somewhere along about the late 1960’s or early 1970’s, when first stocked into Lake Keystone, the Oklahoma Wildlife Department tagged and monitored the earliest striped bass migrations up both the Cimarron and Arkansas arms of the lake. Nobody then knew what the fish were up to, where they went, at what time of the year, where they spent most of their time, nor what to expect from a species of fish about as foreign to this country as palm trees would be along our end of Route 66.

The tagging program and its early returns provided plenty of answers. Striped bass location maps were printed and distributed in sporting goods stores around the area that located precisely, so much as tag returns would allow, where the fish assembled pretty much at all times of the year, but during the spring spawning season.

New striper fishermen were encouraged to pick up as many of the maps as they wanted, and to use them in future reference at different times of the year. I did that, and still have a collection I use and refer to. I won’t say it’s more valuable than one of the new down scan electronic locators, but over the years it has gotten me headed in the right direction quicker than throwing darts at a map on my garage wall.

Recent back surgery is supposed to keep me from behind a steering wheel for two months, let alone any bumpy rides seaward in an open boat. If I get knocked in the head on the way to Walmart and wake up with a band of pirates in the middle of Lake Keystone, I’m bettin’ I’m the only one there with the treasure map full of x’es.

I’ll say this: right about now on Lake Keystone, you need to think about the upper arms of both the Cimarron and the Arkansas just downstream from where the lake turns into a river again. Troll lipless crankbaits, or fish live shad just off the bottom in depths that are going to change from day to day because the fish are moving.

I walked down to the back end of Baker’s Branch in front of my house this afternoon. We had one day this past week with air temperatures up in the 80’s. I dropped a small electronic thermometer into the water at my feet and got a reading of 46 degrees.

Main lake? I don’t know, but I’d say things are headed in the right direction. There’s a fish migration going on.

Copyright © 2016 Conrad M. Vollertsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Low-Tech

Loneliness of This Wilderness Reaches Deep

Pass It On: It's What the Best People Have Always Done